web analytics

Joint Custody Parental Consent

Spouse Wants Joint Decision Making in Parenting Plan Seattle Family Law Attorney Eric Engel

So your spouse is asking you for joint decision making in your parenting plan and you want to know what that means. Hi. I’m Eric Engel, Seattle divorce lawyer with the Engel Law Group here in Seattle, Washington. In Washington state, parenting plans divide up not just custody of children but decision making of children. What this means is that in a parenting plan you decide who’s going to make decisions regarding – for example – whether or not your kids go to a private school or a public school, whether or not your kids are going to see a , and what kind of religious decisions are going to be made regarding your children. The norm in Washington state is joint decision making. Now what that means.

Is that your spouse has to work with you in order to make a decision regarding your children. Say, for example, your wife or your husband wants to take your son to the . She has to get your permission or your consent. In other words, you guys have to agree to it before you can do that. Now, if it’s a routine thing – like your son has a cold – she doesn’t usually have to get your permission or talk to you about it. On the other hand, if she’s getting his tonsils removed that’s definitely something that she’s going to have to talk to you about. Another example would be an educationbased decision. Like, for example, say your wife wants to hire a tutor. That’s usually considered.

Is joint, that you both have to decide together. Now there are some decisions that aren’t joint, like day to day affairs. Like, for example, whether or not your son or daughter gets their homework done. But in general, in Washington state, joint decision making means that major decisions have to be deciding together. Why am I telling you this? I’m telling you this because you’re trying to understand what joint decision making means and how it’s going to impact your parenting plan. These are issues that we deal with on a daily basis. If you have any further questions, pick up the phone and give us a call. I’m Eric Engel, thank you for watching our tutorial.

Relocation of children I Go To Court Lawyers

What you need to know about relocation orders. Can my expartner move away with my children without my permission? Yes! Unless you have a court order in place preventing them from doing so. So what can be done? If you have a court order.

That the children are to live with you and the other parent relocates the children without your consent you can instruct a lawyer to file a recovery order in the Family Court. A recovery order allows the police to intervene if necessary and return the children to you.

If you do not have any orders in place and cannot get access to your children your lawyer will file a recovery order and at the same time apply for parenting orders in which the Court will make orders regarding the children’s living arrangements. What does the Court take into account when making a Relocation Order?.

In considering whether one parent can relocate the children the Court takes into account a number of factors. First and foremost, the Court takes into account the best interests of the child and considers the relationship between the child and the other parent and the likely effect on the children of any changes in circumstances.

The Court also considers the practical aspects of the move, including the distance the children would have to travel to see the other parent and the costs of travel. The further away the other parent wants to move often makes it harder for the children to maintain a good relationship with the other parent. The Court has to balance these issues with the desires of the parent who may wish to relocate.

In order to, for example, take up a job opportunity or commence a new relationship. So what do you need to do? If you are concerned about the possible or actual relocation of your children it is very important to get urgent expert family advice. Go To Court Lawyers operates a legal hotline.

On 1300 636 846 where you can talk directly to a lawyer from 7 am to midnight 7 days a week. Your call will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and without judgement. The lawyer will assess your matter and recommend a course of action. Should you need a court lawyer,.

Leave a Reply